Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hello please help to find a µC and ADC for my project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajesh.mahapatra

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller with +built in +adc + 10v input

Dear Sir!
Here I am assigned a project where I need ur useful suggestions.

I have to do the following things prior to start my project and for that purpose suggest me.
1. Choose a microcontroller
2. ADC whose input range should be between 0 - 10 volts range.
3.LCD interfacing
4.keyboard (Logitech keyboard) interfacing with alphanumeric and up-down keys.
5.data Logging facility for storing atleast 1000data values.
>Operater name
>Company Name
>date and time
>Reading data
6.connectivity to PC
7.Printer interface.

Kindly suggest me, which ADC and Microcontroller I should use.

So please suggest me and mail me. Waiting 4 ur most valuable suggestions.

Thank You sir,

µc storage controller

Had a look at ARM boards ?

sample rate adc0800

ADC sample rate ? Hz, KHz, MHz ?
ADC resolution 8/10/12 bit ?

LCD for text only or graphic or TFT ?

connect to PC by what ? com ? lan ? usb ?

Printer by USB or 25pin ?

determine the maximum sampling rate of adc0800

vsmGuy said:
Had a look at ARM boards ?
why not BlackFin or TMS320Cxxxx - that would be even more ridiculous than ARM (you probably meaned ARM9 cores) for such simple tasks...

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

smainj tutorial

Hi!
I agree with vsmGuy. Check the LPC2101 (<$3). It is ARM7 based microcontroller with a plathora of peripherals including an RTC and ADC. Free programming (GNU toolchain and HJTAG) and debugging tools. I have worked with it and believe me, there is no such thing as the LPC series from phillips. It is extremely powerful.
just download the data sheet and study it.
Regards.

reading 10v with an 5 volt adc

hi
i believe any pic or avr with built in adc and enough pins for ur peripherals and enough eeprom for ur variable can help u ,u dont need external adc,u can conditin ur range of input from 0-10 to 0-5,using operational amplifiers. atmega 64 or atmega128 may be good for u .lpc 2000 series is also a good idea.
shakeel

adc sample rate lpc arm

use PIC,it also has internal 10bit or 8 bit adc.but 10 volt you need to normalise to 5 volt using op amp ;)

Added after 15 minutes:

u can also simulate first before buying the component.try proteus.it has virtual pc port.so u can simulate interface between uC and your keyboard. try watch this tutorial
**broken link removed**

adc0800

Thanks for all of ur suggestions.
Which controller with inbuilt ADC and Memory should I choose.Is it not suitable to use any 8-bit microcontroller. If yes then can anyone suggest me any derivatives of 8051.Really ur suggestions are giving me confidence to work on my project.

With regards,
Rajesh Mahapatra

microcontroller adc0800

OK OK .. Talking about the PIC try out the PIC16F877A which has the PSP which you can use to emulate for Printer connection.

glcd aduc832

Plenty of choice out there, depend on what your needs are and what's available in your region!

You never answered tomanderson questions, especially
ADC sample rate ? Hz, KHz, MHz ?
ADC resolution 8/10/12 bit ?

I would do it with Dallas DS89C450, external ADC with I²C bus, EEPROM also on I²C bus for data storage.

You can also look at www.Silabs.com mixed signal 8051 derivates available there with internal ADC, EEPROM, ... ...

Come up with more info please!

adc interfacing with aduc832

I need the sampling rate in KHz and the controller I think of is 8-bit, any 8051-seriesof higher derivative. One more thing, to get high precision I can't do the 0-10 V range of ADC to 0-5 V range. How about National Semiconductors ADC0800 8-bit A/D converter.Will it work in 0-10V range with a resolution of 8-bit?

pic16f818 project

I would not chose the ADC0800 :?

Precision, if you mean smallest detectable variation on input signal, depend on input voltage and number of bits of the ADC aka accuracy.

10V input range with 12 bit resolution means 1 bit is 2.44mV
5V input range with 12 bit resolution means 1 bit is 1.22mV
Smallest detectable variation on input signal is 2.44mV / 1.22mV respesctively.
So it's best for 5V input signal :D:cry:

Try to find a serial ADC on I²C or SPI bus.
Plenty available at Maxim, TI, Analog Devices, ... ...

Or use a Silab µC with internal ADC

tutorial how to interface excel to adc

Sir,
What is wrong with ADC0800. It is a 8-bit, 0-10V input range Converter. I agree with u of using that serial ADC but i think that using parallel one wil be easier.

Actually, explaining broadly , there is one transducer whose input is pressure and output is in terms of voltage.This voltage varies from 0-10 V. This is to be given to Microcontroller.The microcontroller is then interfaced with a LCD, 7-seg LED display , storage IC for storing last 1000 values, lastly interfacing to PC through RS232.

So, I think of an 8-bit resolution ADC with 0-10V range input and an 8-bit microcontroller.

adc0800 work

The ADC0800 is discontinued!
So unless it's just for fun or you have plenty of them I wouldn't use it anymore.

Forget about the 10V input range, 5V will also be ok.
Do some simulations in Excel
1) starting from pressure (P1 to P2 bar), input sensor
2) output sensor V1 to V2 Volt (0 to 10V)
3) convert into range ADC V3 to V4 Volt (resistor divider or OpAmp circuit)
4) convert into digital data (0 to 255 for 8 bit)
5) scale back to pressure (with one or more decimal(s)) for display

So please make up your mind regarding the ADC (TLC 549 from TI is ok)
Once you know the required calculations, you can start coding.
See attached ZIP file for Excel simulations...

what is μc

Hi here is your answer use a PIC16F818/819 it is an 18 pin device with 2 X 8 ports and 5 AD channels you can use 6 pins on port A to drive your LCD display and port B to scan a 4X4 keypad then you stil have two pins left on port A for your AD conversion no external clock needed and it is a flash type can be reprogrammed or if you need more pins go for the PIC16F873/876 it is a 28 pin device with 3 I/O ports and the same features as the 818/819

pic16f873 adc sample rate

You can use ADuC832..where u can have a circuit to convert your input voltage range to 2.5V or 5 V(depending upon Vref of ADC)..
Also it is esay to program the uC IC thru' RS232 connection
Feel free to ask questions...

Regards,
Shiva

Status
Not open for further replies.