Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat dissipation in power amplifier layout technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

franck

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm doing a layout of a power amplifier and I'd like to know if there is any particular techniques (obvious or not) to help heat dissipation. I mean what could I do in the layout of the active part of the PA?
Thanks,

Franck.

I am not sure I should say active-region; may I say current conducting/switching region - in which "area" is one of the parameter which you will try to optimize.

I should have said maximize - instead I wrote optimize considering your maximum package thermal dissipation characteristics.

Wide Metals should be slotted properly - to avoid thermal stress and all stress related deformation issues.
Use dummy metal patterns effectively to carry and dissipate and distribute heat.

franck

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.
How would you place those dummy metal patterns? Interleaved in the transistor? Around the transistor?
Would that help to stack every metals in the unit pattern?
Do you confirm that for a same size of transistor the bigger the conducting/switching region layout is the better the heat dissipation will be?

Franck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back