Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL coding good practice! Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterUK2009

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to ask about, good practice HDL coding and layer for control and logic, with out to getting deep into synchronization when you have to design a interface, how should you divide your design, Interested to hear from people have successfully design interface from 0.

I've seen a code from SPI from a common vendor and It divided the interface in so many blocks and control signals, just wonder is there is a good practice design which would take you to good coding easy debugging en design, Also How to work a standard I looked to SPI but it does not seen to have standard but if you have done from another one please reference it and I will look at it and try to associate your answer. Thanks

It is hard to give a "best practices" for HDL mainly because of the difference between actual good practices, and tool limitations. For example, it has long been advised to avoid multi-dimensional arrays on module ports even though there is nothing logically wrong with it. A lot of the ASIC-world "best-practices" involve assuming that global optimizations cannot be done. Likewise, best practices differ for FPGA vs ASIC in some cases like resets. For FPGAs, it is advised to avoid resets or use synchronous resets more often (Xilinx). For ASICs, it is assumed that there will be a reset on almost everything.

For composition of a design into modules, I do have some opinions. The main ones are:
1.) Avoid making tightly coupled logic modules for the sole purpose of making a large file into multiple smaller files. This is hard to really express, as it makes sense to divide a design into smaller functions which may end up being tightly-coupled with their intended instantiation. An example of an inappropriate module would be removing a state machine from the logic feeding it and the logic it feeds when there is no intention to provide a standard interface that might allow it to be exchanged with a different state machine.
2.) Avoid mesh-like block diagrams. Basically, if you have five modules, each module should ideally only interface to two other modules (an input and an output), forming a simple data path. There are clearly times when this won't work. The point is to attempt to consolidate interfaces. This allows designs to be modified more easily because logic changes are largely tied to single files. An example would be adding a pipeline register to a design where half of the signals from A to C go to module B. If all signals from A to C went first to B, and only some were modified on the route to C, then in adding the pipeline stage in module B it would be clear that some additional signals would need to be pipelined.
3.) Document interfaces. For the same reasons as above. It is very easy to mislead people with port names, like "en". This example name doesn't provide any indication on if "en" can be '1' every cycle, or must be high every other cycle, or etc...
4.) it makes sense to make modules for common code. If you find yourself solving the same problem over and over again, it is possible you want to start making a few modules and then reusing them later.

Of course #1/2 have a lot of exceptions. It is common to have fascade modules which are just a grouping of instances with a little glue logic. Clearly an exception for #2 would be made for things like a centralized control bus. #4 also requires some caution as it is possible to create "overly-generic" code -- functions that you've made very customizable, but are rarely used and have functionality that is never used and never tested.

I basically agree with permute. I have used multi-dimensional arrays on ports though, very successfully, about 4 years ago in altera quartus. It was a 3x3 array of sfixed type for a 2D FIR filter, with indexes of (-1 to 1, -1 to 1), and it made working out which pixel went where nice and easy to debug.

But the most important thing is documentation documentation documentation, and this includes good comments and good signal names. Good comments should explain why you're doing something more than what it does. Remember you have to pass this design on to your future self or someone whos never seen your design before.

I've used them on ports too. The issue comes up when you need to generate a netlist to be included in another design. Some tools will assume the interface will be flattened to a vector, others assume it will not be flattened. Just my point on logically good practice and practical guidelines due to tool issues.

I've used them on ports too. The issue comes up when you need to generate a netlist to be included in another design. Some tools will assume the interface will be flattened to a vector, others assume it will not be flattened. Just my point on logically good practice and practical guidelines due to tool issues.

Good point - I didnt consider that, and didnt need it at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back