Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have we broken the LTC3723 pushpull controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We are doing 300W pushpull, 300wout, 32vout, 24vin, 300kHz, LTC3723-1 controller.

We just connected a 11.4V supply to the LTC3723-1 vcc pin (12v, 0.5A wallwart with series diode after it).
It woudlnt work, or rather , it worked sporadically, and didnt appear to be regulating....ie its malfunctioning.

Now i check the LTC3723-1 datasheet , and see that the VCC pin contains a 10V shunt regulator.......which can drink 50mA max........it will obviosuy have taken a lot more than this due
to our connection of 11.4V.

So do you think the LTC3723-1 would have been broken by this?
I believe now that we should have put a 62R resistor between our 11.4V supply and the VCC pin.....but its too late i believe.......the company will insist on knowing why the chip
is malfunctioning before buying more....., but is there any way the LTC3723-1 might have survived our bad powering of it?

LTC3723-1

Question whether "50mA" is a "survive" or a "meet spec"
limit.

In either case comparing the shunt reg I-V between virgin
and abused, ought to tell the tale.

This shunt reg might also have some "participation" in
UVLO behaviors?

Status
Not open for further replies.