Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware+ Sorftware Time Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis8

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone!
I need help in a project:
I need that the date and time that is in the computer and in a PIC 16F877A with an RTC, become synchronized. No matter if the PIC is at a very large distance from the computer, the date and time must be the same in both.
I will appreciate your help and ideas!

hpw long do you require the time to be accuarate for and, as klystron asked, what do you mean by accurate ?
For example, if a life time of 5 to 10 years and accurate to a few second is sufficent a battery backed RTC such as the Ramtron FM33256 or Microchip MCP79410 would be OK.
Alternativly if you have a GPS device attached you can get the time from the NMEA data or if you have a TCP/IP enabled GSM modem you could get the time from a time server.

Last edited:

I want the synchronization the most accurate it can be. And I was thinking on getting the time from the NIST,but I dont know how the PIC can receive the internet signal at the same time a computer receives.

if you are in range of a WiFi network you could use TCP/IP to connect to NIST otherwise a TCP/IP GSM modem could be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.