Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Handling two different UART device with one port

Status
Not open for further replies.

majidkhalili

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys
i dont know if this is the best place ask this , so if i have to post it in different section pls let me know
i have an avr micro controller that is working with PC using one of its serial port , and the avr has only one other serisal port , and i need to work with tow different device using UART , i have know idea what can i do
one of the devices i'm just reading from , and another one i'm bot reading and writing
and the important thing is that for both these devices i have to use the interrupt , so i cant not use just simple mux to handle these to , because they should interrupt the avr to read the value of them , so with mux i migh lose the data

pls tell me any thing that can help
thanks

Do you have enough I/O pins on the AVR to attach an external UART IC? If not enough for a parallel interface, you can connect an external UART IC which uses I2C interface (only 2 pins for clk/data and up to 3 more pins for control, reset, and IRQ). One possible IC for this would be MAX3107

use software uart or hardware multiplexing...........
i dont know what is software uart ( does it mean it doesn't need hardware interface and i have to implement the timing and those thing on software ?!!!!! because thats really difficult i think )
and how is hardware multiplexing ? i have know idea

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have enough I/O pins on the AVR to attach an external UART IC? If not enough for a parallel interface, you can connect an external UART IC which uses I2C interface (only 2 pins for clk/data and up to 3 more pins for control, reset, and IRQ). One possible IC for this would be MAX3107

wow two thing :
1. is there any parallel to UART IC ? really , thats nice because i have enough pin for that , but can i handle the interrupt too or not ? and do u know any part number for them ?
2.as i understood MAX3107 is a I2C to UART converter with data buffer and such thing , is that true ? if i decided to use that i think i have to use pooling instead , and i think it may cause a good system design,i mean it might get complicated both in hardware and software , or may be i'm thinking in bad way , so if there is any block diagram u can post that would be really appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

use MUX for Tx and Rx pins... With ISR you can easily handle Tx and Rx by means of mux...

sorry whats "ISR" ?
is that interrupt Service routine ?!!
do u have any block diagram to suggest for system design ?

IF you have alot of pins available to do a parallel bus UART, you can get a dual UART - just google ST16C2552. For the datasheet on the Maxim MAX3107 I2C/SPI interface UART, just google "MAX3107". Either of these parts has an INT pin to signal to your micro that it needs servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.