Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Handling I/O pins in a microcontroller - problem occurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Handling I/O pins

Dear Friends,

In one of my application my microcontroller's I/O pin is interfaced with a digital sensor whose output is 0v or 5v. I have interfaced microcontroller I/O pin and sensor with an 10K pull-up resistor. Even then we have observed some floating voltage on I/O pin. so I have been trying to interface with an IC whose O/P is high only when the I/P is more than an threshold voltage like 2.5v or 3.0 v. If this condition fails, O/P should be LOW.

Thanking you.
Ravi Kumar

Re: Handling I/O pins

hi
u can use a buffer to connect the sensor output to microcontroller's input. This buffer will increase the current capability.

other solution would be to use a inverter buffer and take care in the logic.

as u r already using a pull up resistor that should work fine.

if i understand correct, the output from sensor is either ground or 5v. right?

Regards
skr

Handling I/O pins

why dont you try a pull down?

Nandhu

hi
as nandhu said, u can try pull down resistor.
nandhu: what can be wrong for pull up not working in this case?

Yes Output of sensor is either ground or 5v.

Yes, I can try with pull-down but my default condition is high (5 V). In worst case i will use pull-down changing my logic.

but I guess I can use buffer IC as ssankurathri suggested.

Thanking You
Ravi Kumar

hi
if i were u, i will disconnect the sensor from micro first and connect the pull up resistor. try using a 1k pullup resistor.

can u please check the internal circuitary on the I/O pin in the microcontroller?

if this info. is helpful, plz click on helped me.

ssankurathri said:
hi
as nandhu said, u can try pull down resistor.
nandhu: what can be wrong for pull up not working in this case?

The sensor is not capable of pulling down. Either use high value pullup or pull down.

Nandhu

hi nandhu,
i didn't get ur comment. if the sensor can't provide the proper ground, then the pull up should work fine. right?
i mean the micro pin should see 5v all the time. why it can be floating sometimes when we use pull up resistor?

regards
skr

He meaned that output of your sensor maybe isn't strong enought to pull the static of microcontroller's input down to ~0V. And he recommended you changed your pull down resister to higher value (example:33kΩ or 47kΩ) to make the static easier to pull down to 0V.

tocal09 said:
He meaned that output of your sensor maybe isn't strong enought to pull the static of microcontroller's input down to ~0V. And he recommended you changed your pull down resister to higher value (example:33kΩ or 47kΩ) to make the static easier to pull down to 0V.
I agree with you.
Should check whether the res value suitable for the MCU and sensor used.

Sorry. I said about pull-up resistor not pull-down resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back