Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hamming Code for the Detection of two bit errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanif Khushk

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Can any body tell me how does the Hamming Code Work for the detection of two bit errors in digital Communication?

Hamming codes are single-error correcting codes, so the minimum distance is 3.
Adding another parity bit, it is possible to increase the minimum distance to 4 and detect double bit errors.
Look for "extended Hamming code".
Regards

Z

Hi
Nice to See your response. Can you explain What is extended Hamming Code?? Or Send Me any link

It's what I described in my previous post, i.e. a standard Hamming code with an extra bit that gives the ability to detect double-bit errors.

In the first column of the following table you see the first Hamming codes (single-error correction, distance 3), and in the second column the corresponding extended Hamming codes (single-error correction abd double-error detection, distance 4).

(n,k) Hamming | (n,k) Extended Hamming
------------------------------------------------------
..(7,4)............(8,4)
(15,11)..........(16,11)
(31,26)..........(32,26)
...and so on

Z

Nice very helpful kindly send how it Works. Means Consider One Example of (8,4) and solve it. please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back