Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Half-bridge with negative HV rail instead of ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalker898

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am not sure why I am unable to find this, but my searches can't seem to find an answer to this question. Does anyone know of a half-bridge chip that allows a negative high voltage rail instead of ground?

I am interested in creating a bi-polar pulser to switch between a positive high voltage rail and a negative high voltage rail. The half-bridge topology looks perfect except I have never seen a diagram, circuit, or part number or webpage that discusses how to do the half-bridge between a positive and negative voltage rail. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I am hoping to buy a half bridge chip to make this pulser.

Thanks,
Brandon

Hi,

GND is just a name.
Set GND to the negative rail and you are done.

Klaus

You'll probably need additional level shifting and a driver supply referred to DC-. In case of doubt use opto isolators.

To drive bipolar current into a load, your HV supply must be bipolar too, exposing a grounded center node.

Hi,

ADAUMxxxx is about the opposite of my idea.
I recommended to connect the GND, but it seems you want to isolate the GND.
Therefore I'm confused about what you really want to achieve.

Give more informations.

Klaus

Hi,

ADAUMxxxx is about the opposite of my idea.
I recommended to connect the GND, but it seems you want to isolate the GND.
Therefore I'm confused about what you really want to achieve.

Give more informations.

Klaus

I attached a picture of what I thought you meant. I am trying to create a square wave pulser between a positive and negative voltage rail, so would like to use an off the shelf half bridge gate driver to switch between the two voltage supplies (with a slight delay between to prevent a short). This diagram doesn't include any gate resistors, current limiting resistors, diodes, or flybacks but is basically the setup I'm wondering about. Is this what you meant and would something like this work for creating a bipolar pulser? Thanks.

bipolar output from adum half bridge.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back