Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-Bridge PWM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeladoCaliente

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pwm h bridge

Hi everyone. First of all, I would like to say that theses forums are very useful for an electrical engineer student like me and thank all the admins, moderators and users.

For my first post, I hope someone can reassure me regarding H-bridge chip I'm planning to buy. Indeed, with my partner, we are building a CNC machine and obviously we need to buy H-bridge for the motor control. We are intested in one H-bridge in particular from STMicroelectronics :
**broken link removed**

You can also click on the datasheet link on that page. We would like to know if this chip can receive a PWM input as one would normally think of an H-brige. Yet, there's no mention of any PWM in the datasheet.

Thank you.

h-bridge pwm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, sure you will find it a source of good info.

Although CNC is covered to some degree in these pages I would suggest you also visit the CNCZONE - it is one of the best sites for CNC - I know people who have successfully built complete 3 axis cnc machines from the plans shown on that site.

Regarding your actual question about that chip - its not one I have used, but your point about PWM to its inputs - well there are two distinct types of H bridge drivers.

One is where the main micro provides all the control pulses including a PWM signal to a driver chip, that is mainly output transistor stages.

The other method is to use a driver chip with powerful logic built in, this generates all its own pwm signals etc, the main micro just sends simple start/stop type control signals.

Three very popular chips that demonstrate my point are the L293, L297 and L298.

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back