Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-bridge - MOSFET driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to implement an H-bridge with the MIC5021 for the high side of both legs and an MIC5020 for the low side of both legs.

I have used the MIC5020 in other designs and it seems to be working great. This is the first time I have used the MIC5021 and I am not getting the boost voltage needed to fully turn on the high side MOSFET.

When the train of pulses starts, I see one large pulse at close to the correct voltage and over the next few pulses (3-4) it diminishes to system voltage (in this case 24 V). Initially I had a 0.1 μF capacitor which I later realized was way too big and possibly damaging the MIC5021. I downsized this to 0.01 μF and I still am seeing similar results. I have ordered 2.7 nF capacitors to try next and I am currently waiting for them to arrive.

In the datasheet for the MIC5021 I see the boost capacitor tied to system voltage in one diagram and the source of the MOSFET being driven in another. Which diagram is correct/better? Is there an advantage of one configuration over the other? Ultimately I need to get the boost capacitor generating the proper voltage to drive the MOSFET fully ON as it is not doing it right now. What can I do to address this?

In the attached image the system voltage is 24 V. Here are the signals:

Yellow: High-side signal from controller
Blue: Low-side signal from controller
Red: @ Low-side gate
Green: @ High-side gate

1675072297191.png

Hi,

for system volateges from +20 V to +36 v they recommend the connection of the boost capacitor towrads VDD.

The front page of the datasheet states "The MIC5021 high-side MOSFET driver is designed to operate at frequencies up to 100 kHz (5 kHz PWM for 2% to 100% duty cycle) ... ". With a period of ~32 µs your switchin frequency is about 31.25 kHz, where your on-time is about 4 µs, leading to a duty cucle of ~8 %. So your switching frequency might be too high. Which MOSFET's are you using?

As @KlausST pointed out, a schematic would be quite helpful.

BR

Hi,

for system volateges from +20 V to +36 v they recommend the connection of the boost capacitor towrads VDD.

The front page of the datasheet states "The MIC5021 high-side MOSFET driver is designed to operate at frequencies up to 100 kHz (5 kHz PWM for 2% to 100% duty cycle) ... ". With a period of ~32 µs your switchin frequency is about 31.25 kHz, where your on-time is about 4 µs, leading to a duty cucle of ~8 %. So your switching frequency might be too high. Which MOSFET's are you using?

As @KlausST pointed out, a schematic would be quite helpful.

BR
I am confused a little. When it is mentioned below as
5 kHz PWM for 2% to 100% duty cycle
What is the PWM for 100% duty cycle?

Also, could you please tell me how you arrived at the values of 32us, 31.25kHz and so on?

Hi,

I came to the same results, just by looking at your scope picture.

Why is it so hard to post a schematic? You just waste time.

Klaus
I am retriving the schematic from my colleague. Please wait. Also, could you please explain What is the PWM for 100% duty cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.