Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM modem data link - missing bytes :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
connect 9600/rlp

hi, everybody!

this is my first post here 8)

Here is a problem I would like to share and discuss with you:

I use GSM modem to get data from a remote device. I have several modem types and a few sets for every type (based on Siemens M35i, M39i, Wavecom Q2406-BIP, Benq M22). I have original modems from manufacturer and also my own developed modems based on same modules, and they all work the same way.

The link is like this:
device-GSMmodem-network-PSTN modem-PC

PC is a normal computer with any terminal software (tried 3-4 types)
instead of device I also tried to use another terminal on a standard computer, let's call it PC2.

I dial out from a PC using PSTN modem to make a data call to GSM modem. I have a connection (CONNECT 9600/RLP). Now I can send any data transparently (you type in terminal software at PC, you get that on a PC2 and vice-versa).

The problem is that I have 0x11h and 0x13h bytes missing from a data flow !

OK, this is DEFINITELY something related to software flow control - these bytes are used to suspend/resume a data, so they cut from the stream. I am sure that this is an explanation what is happens, but WHY WHY WHY this happens ??

both sides terminals, both modems, both serial port settings are set to hardware flow control (also tried "none" flow control) - bytes still missing! There are simply no any settings for "software flow control"!

This happens to Siemens-based and BENQ-based modems, but Wavecom works fine under the same conditions and settings - I do not change anything, replace to wavecom and it is all there, no missing bytes!

The only difference I can see during this test is that Wavecom says "CONNECT 9600" while Siemens says "CONNECT 9600/RLP", which means "Radio link Protocol". Also Siemens manual says that "transparent mode is not supported" while wavecom can work in both transparent and non-transparent modes.

Another tricky thing is that if you call from GSM to GSM modem it works fine all the time, this problem only with PSTN modem initiating call to GSM.

- Anybody has the same problem ?
- Anybody please try to reproduce this problem with your own hardware ?
- Is there something wrong with me or with my hands ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back