GSM capable microchip. How small can they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimvdLinde

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How small could you make the GSM microchip? I am thinking, would it be possible to make a microchip of the same size as the chips used for animal chipping that would be picked up by GSM receivers? (And I am thinking no need for anything else). if such a microchip would be available, it would dramatically simplify tracking stolen smaller animals like cats and expensive pet birds. Some pet birds cost US$10,000, and I am sure that if there is a chip that makes tracking possible, they will be sold to people. So, how small could such a chip be made?

The problem is not likely to be the size of the chip - indeed the die of highly integrated GSM transceivers is already sufficiently small. I'd expect the battery and/or antenna (not to mention SAR/exposure guidelines) are going to be your most significant obstacles to subcutaneous trackers...

I have already contacted a company that makes chips that convert body heat to electricity, and the number of times a day that the chip has to send can be rather low as the purpose is to track animals when they are stolen. There are already animal GSM/GPS trackers that can be on a collar, and those send much more frequent. Do you need an antenna for sending? I would not think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…