Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM capable microchip. How small can they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimvdLinde

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How small could you make the GSM microchip? I am thinking, would it be possible to make a microchip of the same size as the chips used for animal chipping that would be picked up by GSM receivers? (And I am thinking no need for anything else). if such a microchip would be available, it would dramatically simplify tracking stolen smaller animals like cats and expensive pet birds. Some pet birds cost US$10,000, and I am sure that if there is a chip that makes tracking possible, they will be sold to people. So, how small could such a chip be made?

The problem is not likely to be the size of the chip - indeed the die of highly integrated GSM transceivers is already sufficiently small. I'd expect the battery and/or antenna (not to mention SAR/exposure guidelines) are going to be your most significant obstacles to subcutaneous trackers...

The problem is not likely to be the size of the chip - indeed the die of highly integrated GSM transceivers is already sufficiently small. I'd expect the battery and/or antenna (not to mention SAR/exposure guidelines) are going to be your most significant obstacles to subcutaneous trackers...

I have already contacted a company that makes chips that convert body heat to electricity, and the number of times a day that the chip has to send can be rather low as the purpose is to track animals when they are stolen. There are already animal GSM/GPS trackers that can be on a collar, and those send much more frequent. Do you need an antenna for sending? I would not think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back