Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS + GSM/GPRS + Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Problem is.. I've no time and very little programming knowledge to sit to it.
Guys, please please let me know if any of you managed to build one - I'd be interested in buying it!
What I'm after is a car alarm with camera, GPS and GSM communication. The products I managed to find can only do GPS tracking and SMS communication - no images. :(

Sorry if I hijacked your thread..

Well.. ok, what I meant was that I was highly interested in that project but didn't have time to develop the source code myself, so if anyone has got it already working I'd be very interested in details such a source code and schematic (what' the point re-inventing the wheel?). Since someone might have put a lot of work into it, I thought I'd appreciate it with bit of financial incentive - what wrong about that?

I have a similar project this year. I have to store video and the forward it over the gsm network
thats so surprising beacause I am working on similar project . I want to transfer video
wirelessly ? can you introduce any chip or IC for my project ?

I am working on the same project as Kryex is working.. i am using PIC MCU..just needed to know one thing.. how are transferring image ?? are you using GPRS sms thing? and sending image in packets?
One thing, you dont need any MCU with 3 UARTS.. u can use 2 UARTS by doing multiplexing on one UART.. or by using microC or PICbasig u can programmaticaly introduce as many UARTS as u want!

Going the ARM way may be your best (easiest) bet. We've researched this area some bit, and in our finding, sticking to AVR's was really limiting our possibilities (software capabilities), and more importantly the over-all project + production and per-unit produced item cost was higher than if we went with ARM processors.

You can buy Beagleboard ($125) / Beagleboard-xM ($149), and it has enough juices for all that you are doing, but you need to add the GSM+GPS modules, and the Telit modules are apparently quite good. We have are in the process of acquiring Telit modules to test in our own prototype. They come highly recommended. Apart from being a very large, well-established, global multinational organization, from a developer standpoint, the development support they provide in form of documentation is plain excellent. Going with Simcom, Benq or other such modules is that, you could potentially have (decent) price savings esply when you are talking of volume production, but the development effort/integration effort, might be more.

Of course, there are other highly experienced gurus on the list, so please listen to their advice as well. I am myself a rather newbie, but have been digging deep in the last few months and close to getting something real, ready & working.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Oh, and BTW, if you do take the ARM route, then there are platform that are far cheaper than Beagleboard, and based on your application, I think an ARM7TDMI platform like ones based on NXP's LPC2148 might suffice. All depends on how frequent/fast you want to take the snapshots, what processing you might want to do etc. I've seen ARM7TDMI based boards with a 2.4" LCD display + touch-screen at an incredible price of $40-$45. And based on your application, that might be pretty much all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back