Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS based Anti-theft module for devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileychic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on my innovative idea that is GPS based Anti-theft module for devices. I am writing code in C. I need advises about how I can improve the module.

It is either a stand alone module or it is embedded in the device microcontroller that is the code. It uses UART to communicate with GPS module and also user. When the device has to be first used then a password has to be entered through UART and configured. After configuration the system will restart and ask for password and after password is entered it asks for destination GPS location that is latitude and longitude. After they are entyered the device gets locked to that GPS location and when the device is placed in the configured GPS location then a green led will turn ON and if GPS location is different that the one configured for the device then red led turns ON. The device only works at the configured GPS location.

If device is stolen or GPS location changes then the device will not work. I am trying to implement this feature using the smallest GPS module in products like TV, regridgirators, AC, Computers, laptops.

I will also implement tracing feature that is if device is stolen then the device will send SMS to user about new GPS locations.

So, with this feature id device is stolen then the thief get sonly some usable hardware but the device will not work as product as the functioning get disabled due to change in GPS location.

How can I improve this module and add more features ?

Well, I don't think anybody is going to steal a refrigerator. And now you've added a lot of cost to your refrigerator or AC by requiring it to have a gps and cell phone embedded in it that serve no purpose other than theft protection.

Further, I think a good password protection scheme will work about as well as your proposal. Your idea might make sense in a device that already has gps and a cell connection.

Thank you for comments. GPS is not only for anti-theft but also for tracing stolen product. Recently one of my online clients consumer products showroom was looted in Bangladesh after breaking the lock. Products can be looted not only from house but also from showroom.

- - - Updated - - -

The actual method is like this. If the device doesn't have a display then it uses UART else it uses display and also UART to display current latitude and longitude values. Before that when un-configured device is started it asks to set password and when password is set the system restarts and asks for password and after password is entered it shows current latitude and longitude and ask to set the GPS location. If a button is pressed the current GPS location will be stored in eeprom and button disabled and device locked to that GPS location and device starts working normally. If GPS location changes then device will stop the main function and only SMS sending of GPS location to user will be working. The GPS part of the device will be battery operated.

Last edited:

The missing points in this are:

Will GPS work indoors.
You need a cell phone connection to send SMS.

The concept is good but the additional cost of the module and phone number would be enough to stop it selling, especially as the GPS would almost certainly not work under many circumstances. Electronically it's dead easy.

Brian.

For indoor systems, a GPS module should have connector for external antenna, not built-in antenna as this one on the above link; it is expected that your board will be placed anywhere inside the equipment, which intrinsically adds an atenuation on the received signal.

hi,

on the other side an antenna cable can be cut ... disabling the anti theft function.

Klaus

@KlausST

Even I thought about this but I did not think about long cable based active antenna. I thought about Rubber Duek Antenna. If somebodt removes the Antenna then I have to code that if GPS location is not received then disable the device just like GPS location not matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back