Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with Garmin Etrex H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touseef080360

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one,

I'm new with the GPS modules. i bought a Garmin Etrex H. I'm not sure about its baud rate, but it may be 4800 or 9600. its manual is giving nothing about its baud rate.

how to find its baud rate?

and i want to Interface my Garmin Etrex H with the PIC16FXXXX, i wanted to know is there any initiation command for Garmin Etrex H or it is self initiated?

its starting character is '@' and ending character is 0x0D and it is giving 57 bytes long string. How to get started with PIC programming for displaying the given string?

only way is to connect the gps modem to serial port of computer and use hyperterminal application and keep changing the baud rate and power on the modem , everytime you change the baud rate, for any one baud rate you should see the parameters of gps modem printed on the terminal window.

there is no command to initiate the gps. the moment it is connected it will start printing the GPGGA and other parameters. it may take some time to print if the modem is connected after a long time as it needs warming time to connect to satellites and get the new data.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the strting character should be a $ and not @. read the manual of how it gets the characters when initiated.

@ckshivaram

Thank you so much for the reply.

I actually don't have the manual and i am not finding it by googling, if you can help me out with the manual that will be great favour of you. And i am not using hyper-terminal rather i want to use LCD to display the characters from GPS module.

I'm new with the GPS modules. i bought a Garmin Etrex H. I'm not sure about its baud rate, but it may be 4800 or 9600. its manual is giving nothing about its baud rate.

how to find its baud rate?

I believe the default BAUD rates for the Garmin handheld units in 4800. By the way, a GPS module usually refers to a single electronics board.

and i want to Interface my Garmin Etrex H with the PIC16FXXXX, i wanted to know is there any initiation command for Garmin Etrex H or it is self initiated?

Also, the Live GPS interface settings on the device must be set to NMEA OUT.

The following link provides exstensive information concerning the Garmin Etrex Handhelds, including software mods:

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back