Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting Latin ASCII values through RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcommer

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to electronics and have been assigned to a project which suppose to send a sms using sim300 modules and pic 16f877a. I've created the circuit unit and when it connects the module int didn't work. Therefore i connected the circuit to the PC through RS232 to usb cable i receive the data to hyperteminal. But the data is not as i expected. The displayed data was in latin ASCII (Extended ASCII). Is there anyway to fix this issue. Can anybody please help me with this.....:cry:

You can treat the chars as numbers and add an enum with the values you will use.

Extended ASCII

Can you clarify whether the characters received are:

(a) Whether any are in the range 1 to 127?
or
(b) Are all in the range 128 to 256?
or
(c) Are characters received in the range 1 to 127 but the receiving computer displays them as characters in the range 128 to 256?
or
(d) Are they received as 2-byte values?
or
(e) The receiving computer is set to display the unusual type of font which uses 2-byte values rather than a font using common 1-byte values?

Did you set identical parameters for sending and receiving on each machine?
Data bits 7 or 8?
Parity or non-parity?
Baud rate?
Full duplex or half duplex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back