Getting high values of BER when employinh a RCC shaping filter in a 16 QAM system

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_gomes

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have been struggling for while with this problem and I am not able to solve it. I want to consider a single carrier system with 16 QAM with pulse shaping, until this point the system works just fine. I use a Square Raised Cosine Filter both in TX and RX and I do not get any interference, and thus 0 value of BER.

However whenI add a pseudo random sequence as preamble for channel estimation purposes I do get ISI. I believe the problem is with using different modulation for data and preamble and when I filtered data + preamble the filtering process introduces ISI.

There is anyone that could tell how can I solve this issue? The following picture shows the simulink implementation:

Many thanks,

Rodolfo

Hi SunnySkyguy,

Many thanks for your helpful information. I am measuring the group delay between the TX and RX inputs and it is fixed to 40 ( filter span in symbols*oversampling factor) regardless the use of preamble.

Am I measuring the delay in the right position? I would appreciate if you could give some more information about this issue, for example: How does the preamble length changes the delay of the system? I could not find any information about it on the literature.

Many thanks,

Rodolfo

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed that if I discard the first 11 samples of the received symbol sequence, I do not get ISI on the constellation, as you can see in the attached pictures. However, discarding the same samples on the TX sequences and considering the same group delay (40) I still get high BER.

Status
Not open for further replies.