Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Getting frustrated with new atmel chip (ATMEGA8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimfmx

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im using winav+avrdude in eclipse, and im unable to get a new chip to recognize with avrdude/avrasp dongle.

I can program a chip i have, without any problems, but when i put in a new chip atmega8, i get "avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1", so im unable to program any fusebits in it at this stage.

Its on a board with 4MHz xtal on it, with external 5V supply, using the standard SPI interface.. im just so puzzled why this can be such a struggle to get to work with a new chip.

I can pull out the new chip, and put in my old, and it eats the programs like nothing.

Its not because i have initially programmed the fusebits wrong, because the fusebits was first read from the good chip, and then attempted fritten to the new chip.. but without luck..

Any help or hints much appriciated.

Best Regards
Kim Mortesnen

Problem solved, my fault, forgotten that I had to use the "slow CLK" option on the USBasp to get in contact with the non-xtal default chip. and when setting the jumper, disconnect and reconnect the USB to boot the USBasp up in slow mode.. dont know if it was nessesary, but it worked for me.. It did not matter if I used supplied or External supplied VCC, it worked in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.