Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting error while doing optimization of power amplifier in ADS 2022

Bindugowda2809

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In power amplifier, I wanted to optimize output power. So I set a goal for Pout. And tried optimizing, but getting error as optim cannot do cost evaluation.
Please help in sorting this issue in ads optimization.
Attaching the screenshots,

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• goal_ed.png
    goal_ed.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 73
  • optim_ed.png
    optim_ed.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    158 KB · Views: 77
Your Optimization Goal Limits are wrong. You defined >47dBm at first column then you limited between 20-35dBm. Either you should define "Greater Than" OR "Between Limits" but not both.

Hi,
that limit used is for Pin. Like for that input power range, I should get that pout as greater than 47dbm.
I defined greater> 47dbm for Pout.

Does that dBm(vout[1]) expression work in data display?

It might be just a simple typo: the function is dbm() with small letters.
If that doesn't work, try adding the reference impedance as a second parameter: dbm(Value, Zref).

I did not understand why you used "Pin" as a variable ?? What is your goal ??
An optimization variable can be defined in a component as "Optimization Variable" and you define in Component's Properties, Pin is a fixed Power Level for a Source and there is no relationship with Optimization variable.
If you want to sweep Pin during Optimization, you cannot do this. Optimizer will find a different value for each Pin value. It doesn't make sense to me.

Can you post your project file as *7ads ( zipped project archive file )

Hi,
Iam attaching the zip file. Please help in sorting this issue.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot (30).png
    Screenshot (30).png
    218.8 KB · Views: 63
  • optim_error_wrk.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
Dear Friend,
My final conclusion is those remarks :
-You don't know how to design a Power Amplifier so your problem is NOT how to use Optimization Block
-Your problem is poor knowledge about Amplifier Design/RF Microwave Techniques
-A single transistor CANNOT handle this Power Level.
-You have to GET Load Pull data from the Foundry to Match for Optimum Delivered Power for each section.
-There must be Combined and Identical Power Amplifiers to reach to this Power Level
-A single Transistor can handle 24-26dBm standalone (tentative essay) so primary power level is not enough.
-Finally , you have refer to the Foundry to get some help. Otherwise you can not come out from this issue.
-Designing 28-32GHz Power Amplifier needs very serious knowledge and experience. I recommend you to get advice from the other people and refer to more experienced guys.

Hi sir,
We have designed 2 stage source-load pull schematic. But for privacy issues. I have shared you the error part of the circuit.
If you can please solve the error which we are getting will be helpful for us.

Thankyou

Dear Friend,
My final conclusion is those remarks :
-You don't know how to design a Power Amplifier so your problem is NOT how to use Optimization Block
-Your problem is poor knowledge about Amplifier Design/RF Microwave Techniques
-A single transistor CANNOT handle this Power Level.
-You have to GET Load Pull data from the Foundry to Match for Optimum Delivered Power for each section.
-There must be Combined and Identical Power Amplifiers to reach to this Power Level
-A single Transistor can handle 24-26dBm standalone (tentative essay) so primary power level is not enough.
-Finally , you have refer to the Foundry to get some help. Otherwise you can not come out from this issue.
-Designing 28-32GHz Power Amplifier needs very serious knowledge and experience. I recommend you to get advice from the other people and refer to more experienced guys.
As he said, do we need to contact really foundry people for further proper design of Power Amplifier?

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back