Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Get 27V AC from 220V AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about "hard to find components"

EL504 uses 6.3V so such a transformer can be easily found.

But EL504 is harder to find than the PL504. I have taken out of old TV sets many PL504.

On the other side PL504 uses 27V but such a transformer is hard to get.
The good thing is that at 27V the current is only 300mA, so this can be easily supplied by small diodes and 5x20W parallel brick resistors easily available. Not to mention the higher cost of the transformer.

For HV "isolation" a back to back neon transformer (easily available) could be used but these are at 12V or 24v seconday, not 27v. So the filaments cannot be operated using this one.

The philosophy is that a tube transmitter is ALWAYS dangerous, either you isolate it with a transformer or not. There will allways be that little top cap of the tube (not to mention the air variables etc) and other parts that have a high potential. Personaly I would not put ANY tube transmitter on my desk among woth other things, papers etc. but in a separate place.

So If someone isolates the chassis and the knobs, there will be no danger of using such a transmitter.
I have made the front cover using synthetic plastic glass and the knobs have no metalic parts. The only metalic parts are the antenna plugs (which are connected to the EARTH and not to the negative side of the supply, and the power switch (which is mounted on the synthetic glass only).

There is a little glitch though, the audio RCA jack, I will have to figure this out. :)

I have no general problem with unisolated supply. I've worked with these parts in the tube TV age. My doubts are about size and avoidable power dissipation. The resistor power is nearly fourfold the PL504 maximum anode power dissipation.

A 10 VA 2x15 V PCB mount transformer (Hahn BV EI 481 1120) is about 5 EUR at my local catalog distributor, with a small resistor, the voltage could be reduced to 27V.

Status
Not open for further replies.