Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Genesis vs. Microwave Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
advantagesgenesis microwave office

For me i prefer MWO than Genesy since in my knowlege is MWO is more compete as ADS software but Genesy is limited where you are obliged to use another software for simulation..

In reality, ADS is more convenient for diffrents designs

N

genesis aligent

Joel-Tang said:
Yes, it is true. Genesis is the way to go if money is a concern. I've used and loved MWO in the past, but now I'm forced to use Genesys. Most of my applications are below 1GHz so I rarely need to simulate transmission lines since they have much less effect on my performance so I cannot compare performance since my MWO usage was in the 800MHz to 2.5GHz range.
Agilent has been doing some interesting things with the Genesis package. After a rough start in 2005, their latest version is very nice.

I have no experience with with MWO; I had used EESOF series IV back in the day and briefly used ADS. I've been using Genesys for almost 10 years.

Other than designing IC's -- I don't really see how Genesys is going to hold you back. I regularly design linear/nonlinear/passive circuits from 2 MHz to >10 GHz. Since I have prototyping and measurement capabilities here to 20 GHz, I have a pretty good handle on the "measured versus modeled" problem; and I've seen no inherent flaws in any Genesys analysis recently. A few years ago I pointed out a problem with their interdigital capacitor model and provided them data... and they worked on/fixed their model (this was maybe in 2002 or so?), and wrote it up as an appnote.

The place where I see things fall apart, almost universally, is with the vendor nonlinear models (I normally find them myself and enter them into the tool), not anything that is under the control of the CAE vendors.

I expect that at the core, all of the simulators are very similar in their accuracy and capabilities. Sure, some models will be better than others, some engines might be faster than others, but I expect they are all pretty "good". Then it comes down to which interface you prefer, whether you feel you are well supported, and what you can afford.

I happen to really like the Genesys interface and capabilities, and the Genesys users are seeing some nice synergy with Agilent (i.e. there is a sharing of technologies BOTH WAYS between Genesys and ADS). Genesys has certainly benefited from having Momentum and such.

Anyone going to MTT/IMS 2009 should stop by the agilent booth; we're having a Genesys user group meeting/lunch/presentation on Wednesday next week.

Disclosure:
I don't work for Agilent -- I do work with them for mutual promotion of Genesys and my consulting business.

-Lance

eagleware genesys 2003.1

As I know both genesys and ADS is from agilent. What is the difference between genesys and ADS? What is the advantage of MWO than genesys? Is it more accurate? More easy to use (user friendly)? Regardless the price.

Re: microwave office vs ads

The latest Genesis seems to borrow technologies from ADS: Momentum, 3D viewer, X-parameters, layout import/export, etc. The circuit synthesis capabilities are better than MWO and for 1/3 the price. But Genesis does not do MMIC, only RF board. For RF board design, there is probably no better tool out there at the price of Genesis.

Re: microwave office vs ads

I agree with Lance on this subject. I have used Genesys with good success for the last 5 years. I found it to be accurate to 6 GHz maybe even higher but I have not verified it higher. Now I am using MWO since my new company only has MWO. The user interface on Genesys is better, it is cheaper and accurate. What more can you ask for if you are doing just board level work. If it was my money give the 2, it would be Genesys hands down.

Hello,

what is about the high power model simulation in Genesys?

Vendors like Freescale and NXP only provide models for ADS and MWO. But Genesys only supports X-parameters, spice-models and S-parameters.

Without experience, I think that, Genesys is the most appropriate tool for circuit simulation. This includes simulating high power amplifiers. Might it be, that Genesys is not appropriate for it, as the vendors do not provide the right models for Genesys?

Daniel.

Don't forget Agilent's (Keysight's) technical support is phenomenal. The ADS and Genesys group work very close together. And best of all you get an real person who is an RF technician, with comprehendable English.

The Agilent Support is fine, that's right.

For the high power simulation in Genesys they suggested me to use ADS, for all the other purposes like system simulation (Genesys Spectra Sys) they suggested to use Genesys. This would mean to by two tools and learn how to use both of them. This is a really suboptimal solution.

Micro Wave Office supports both features, system simulation and high power model simulation, for an acceptable price.

Don't forget Agilent's (Keysight's) technical support is phenomenal. The ADS and Genesys group work very close together. And best of all you get an real person who is an RF technician, with comprehendable English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back