Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating noise with constant RMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

egomez

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rms constrant

I would like to generate noise from 100Hz to 1kHz. Its spectral components should be falling with higher frequencies similar as in the picture (it would be desirable, that I can adnjust the frequency slope). The noise should have constant RMS value.

In the current circuit I take white noise from function generator and limit it to frequencies 100-1000Hz. Then I amplify this signal and put it though a filter which define the frequency slope of the noise (one of the versions is in the attachment).

With this method I get noise with desired spectral components.
The problem is, that the RMS value of the noise is not constant, but it is changing for about +/-5% in time base of minutes.

Is it possible to generate such a noise with function generator + analog circuit, or should I try to generate it with matlab and then use a DAC?

rms white noise generate

The noise should have constant RMS value.
It can't be exactly constant. Depending on the intended measuring time, you may want to use a shorter pseudo random sequence for the input "white" noise.

noise rms sec to noise min

FvM said:
The noise should have constant RMS value.
It can't be exactly constant. Depending on the intended measuring time, you may want to use a shorter pseudo random sequence for the input "white" noise.

Thank you for the answer.
This could be a solution as I can average for a few seconds the measured noise.
So to get a constant value from the rms meter I need to use a pseudo random sequence of a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.