Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Gate-Drain Coupling in SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik797

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

While experimenting on my quasi-resonant full-bridge inverter, I noticed a dangerous spike on the low-side MOSFET gates, as shown in the attached picture (the blue trace is Vgs and the red one is Vds).

28tgj6x.jpg

I thought it may be a gate-drain coupling, due to the high voltage switching on the drain terminal.
I used four FDL100N50F power MOSFETs and two **broken link removed** gate drivers.

Is it possible such a strong coupling? If so, how to reduce it?

Last edited:

put a gate to source resistor 1k on circuit

Yes, when the upper igbt turns on it pulls the gate volts up on the lower device due to the capacitance of the devices, C-gate, and gate-E, luckily the G-E is the larger capacitance which limits the spike. (for mosfet C=drain, E=source, gate = gate).
Designers of gate drive circuits go to some trouble to design low impedance driver circuits that can sink 1A or more to keep a gate off when the other device in the bridge leg turns on.
This is a big part of modern power electronics design!

Reactions: Anna Conda

Anna Conda

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For the records, I simply shortened the paths of gate nets and rearranged somehow the layout of the board.
That did the trick!

Rik797,
have you reduce the gate resistor & what value have you used?

Thanks & waiting for support to enhance the knowledge,:smile:

What value used before using 4.7ohm?
Have you used Snubber circuit?

Thanks & waiting for support to enhance the knowledge,:smile:

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.