Not open for further replies.

babinton

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a salvaged ferrite transformer with a tiny gap between its center legs, I want to know if I can use the transformer for a push-pull DC-DC converter of 250Watts power rating. ( the area product of the transformer shows that it can support the power level i want to design for.)

Regards.

There is no restriction regarding topology involved.

+++

The centre leg gap will mean that the magnetising current will be greater than without a gap (i.e. lower primary inductance than for no gap) - and there will be some fringing flux from the gap - so you won't want solid wire or Cu foil near the gap where the heating from the fringing field would be noticeable. for your push-pull there will be more turn off current in the fets due to the lower Lpri - so make sure the pri wdgs are closely coupled to reduce voltage spiking on turn off - Regards, Orson Cart.

Last edited:
I´m surprised and never worried about this, designing the SMPS in the past.
Surelly, this phenomen may be predicted by core manufacturers, wich also design and provide the reel kit.

+++

Hello andre, all of a cores parameters - gapped and ungapped - can be found on the data sheet usually, a high performance transformer has no gap, while a flyback will almost always have a gap as it has to store energy in the gap just like an inductor - Regards, Orson Cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.