Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gamma value reported by Ansoft Designer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimR

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is rf gamma value

If I add a port to a microstip line and run a simulation, the value of Gamma returned is always:
Re(Gamma) = 0
im(Gamma) = 1

I'm assuming this Gamma is the standard,

Gamma = Alpha + j Beta

where Alpha is the attenuation and Beta the propagation constant. I can calculate the Beta from the slope of the S11 angle plot (and it agrees well with theory) and I can see that the attenuation Alpha is not exactly zero from the S11 mag plot.

Do I need to renormalize or maybe set some switch to have the Gamma value displayed properly or am I completely misinterpreting something here?

Thank you,
JimR

gamma is basically reflection coefficient u can check from that point of view

I don't think that is correct. This is a one port system so the reflection coefficient is given by the S11 parameter. In fact from this correctly simulated S11 parameter (the reflection coefficient) I can calculate the complex propagation constant and the values agree very well with measurement. I just think that there is a way to use the Ansoft tool to calculate it for me.

The Ansoft documentation clear states:

"complex propagation constants (gamma parameters)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back