Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Galvanic isolation between high voltage side and low voltage side in HV - sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Floyd

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have a high voltage measurement sensor which has one high voltage measurement input (+450V & Gnd reference), operational supply voltage input (+12V & Gnd) and a CAN-bus as communication bus. The sensor measures every second the high voltage input and sends the value to the CAN-bus. As mentioned, the sensor is also powered with +12 VDC supply as operation supply. However the problem is that in the sensor I don´t have any galvanic isolation between the HV-measurement ground reference and low voltage supply ground reference. So the ground is same for both measurement and operational supply. In future there will be a 800V isolation between high voltage side and low voltage side but that kind of sensor is not available yet.

Because I can´t get the new version of the sensor soon, I have to make the isolation by myself. Could someone say if my idea is right and safe in the schematic that I´ve attached to this post? I´ve never been thinking this kind of design of isolations before.

The idea simply:

Instead of having the isolation in the circuit board, can I have it between the sensor and the vehicle. (The sensor is supplied by the low voltage system (+12V) in the vehicle and the CAN bus is also in the vehicle where the sensor is sending the data.)

Here is the schematic: View attachment Isolation_schematic.pdf

Thank you for all kind of help!

With kind regards,

E-Floyd

Hi chuckey,

I decided to use DC/DC converter as galvanical isolation for supply voltage of the sensor. However I have the CAN-bus as communication bus and now I need a way to make the isolation also for the bus with optocouplers. The problem is that I don´t know if it´s possible to install the optocoupler just in the middle of the bus between the sensor and the vehicle. I try to find solutions for this now.

Thank you still for your information!

E-Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.