Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

full bridge class D dead times, symmetrical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el00

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I have designed half bridge many times, but never a full bridge.
I understand how to handle dead times with half bridge, and I know I can use 2 half bridge driving them with the same PWM signal, negated on the second half bridge, to obtain a full bridge.
But, in order to build a highly efficient class D amplifier, I am not so sure the dead times need to be symmetrical.
I was reading this:

On page 14, why dead times are totally non-symmetrical?
Where can I find the basics in order to migrate from a half to full bridge design? I am sure there is some app note out there, but I had no luck while searching. Thank you

In reality you only need to have just enough dead time to avoid shoot through under worst case conditions - when a totem pole is supplying power you can vary the dead time such that it is longer at lighter currents to capture soft switching - when you are receiving power on that totem pole - you don't have that option / luxury ( even if you are clever enough to design such a control ckt ).

Operated as class D the H-bridge is like a buck converter first in one direction, then the other direction. Your gating scheme should duplicate this action. Rapid switching is done only to one transistor at a time.

My simulation mimics an H-bridge by using two op amps (whose output stage is a half-bridge). Positive input causes rapid switching at the left while the right-hand provides a path to ground. Current goes through the load from left to right.
Negative input causes reversed action.

class D 2 op amps 30V 50kHz load 20 ohms.png

I know I can use 2 half bridge driving them with the same PWM signal, negated on the second half bridge, to obtain a full bridge
The method is known as two-level PWM because either positive or negative bus voltage is switched to the load. There's also the three-level PWM scheme which drives both half bridges in phase but with opposite duty cycle. Advantage of three-level scheme is doubled ripple frequency and reduced ripple magnitude with same pwm frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.