Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FSK/PSK power estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

edinburghtech

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I would like to design a wired communication system between 2 buildings say 150 meters apart.
My idea is to design a transciever which can be used on both ends of the wire channel
Transciever will employ either FSK or PSK for data transmission/reception
I would like to know how to estimate minimum signal power required to transmit data successfully across this distance using a twisted copper pair wire. Also how can i estimate minimum frequency and voltage levels for successful implementation of the system.
Please advise

Regards
Edinburghtech

the minimun signal power is directly related to the bit error rate

you can use (bertool) in matlab to get the signal power for a specific bit error rate

An important factor is the quality of the wire i.e. (attenuation factor and frequency response )

Hope the information was useful

Your minimum frequency is related to your data rate. If you use synchronous demodulation you can withstand a lot more phase distortion due to your cable cutting off the higher sidebands, and hence raise the frequency and data rate. I would look at typical balanced cable specs and try to make some assumptions based on a short length of what you intend to use.
Frank

Thank you very much..
I am not used to Matlab or Simulink (Have experience on cadence tools).
Any idea how to simulate cables on spice (just model them as RLC?)

the minimun signal power is directly related to the bit error rate

you can use (bertool) in matlab to get the signal power for a specific bit error rate

An important factor is the quality of the wire i.e. (attenuation factor and frequency response )

Hope the information was useful

---------- Post added at 03:35 ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 ----------

Hello Frank.

Thank you very much for the reply. Can you suggest some books/website from where I can get the information as a starter.. To determine the frequencies required for this task. My data rate is very low say 10Kbps

Also I want the system to have polarity independence on cable connectors. Can I use normal bridge circuitry to achieve this along with FSK PHY layer devices on both ends. Please advise

Your minimum frequency is related to your data rate. If you use synchronous demodulation you can withstand a lot more phase distortion due to your cable cutting off the higher sidebands, and hence raise the frequency and data rate. I would look at typical balanced cable specs and try to make some assumptions based on a short length of what you intend to use.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.