Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fringe capacitance - how to model it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somashekhar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Fringe capacitance.

Hi all..
I am new to e-edaboard.com.

I wan know how to model the fringe capacitance??

Re: Fringe capacitance.

Fringe capacitor is capacitance exist between wall of S / D to Gate terminal. in short, it is parasitic capacitor formed between two layer unwarrantably.

girih192002 said:
Fringe capacitor is capacitance exist between wall of S / D to Gate terminal. in short, it is parasitic capacitor formed between two layer unwarrantably.

Hey i am not discussing about the parasitic in MOSFET..

I need to model fringe capacitance(in MIM capacitance)..that is how to calculate and model the fringe capacince..

I have designed a cap using metal-x and metal-y..two comb structures placed pependicular and compleletely overlaped. I am getting good cap/area.. but i am not getting how to model it??

uhm i don't know how to model it...i think it's not analitically easy because the field lines are not straight outside the plates. However, in a comb structure the fringe effects are not always negligible..you can extimate them with a FEM software if u could use one of them. Sorry, i can't tell you more.
However, they should rise up your capacitance.

Braski said:
uhm i don't know how to model it...i think it's not analitically easy because the field lines are not straight outside the plates. However, in a comb structure the fringe effects are not always negligible..you can extimate them with a FEM software if u could use one of them. Sorry, i can't tell you more.
However, they should rise up your capacitance.

Wat is this FEM software..can u elaborate..

FEM software is EM solver software use to do momentum simulation to find out parasitic resistance, capacitance of passive components. EM Solver or FEM tool most of time used to find parasitic from Board, of inductor, Capacitance.

You can download some free trial licenses and setup

eagle ware is EM Solver tool from Agilent Technologies. you can get free trial license.

I will let you know some more soon.

Yes, something like that... i meant Finit Element software, but electromagnetic software will work too. I'm not into EM software, so i don't know what to tell you to use. I used some Finit Element simulation software. They're not simple too use, but use energy methods to calculate capacitance or other quantities. Better if someone helps you with advices of EM simulators.

Fringe capacitance.

you mean a thin metal or the D/S of MOSFET? in general,they can be seemed as plate capacitor +cylindrical capacitor.you can also refer to relative books. that can be found easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back