Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency of a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

encoder

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we measure the frequency of a device with out using oscilloscope

...without using oscilloscope?
Can you tell me how you measure the frequency of a device using an oscilloscope?

The frequency of a waveform can be measured by using oscilloscope.The most common oscilloscope method of measuring the frequency is first measure the time duration of the waveform
frequency is the reciprocal of time
f=1/t

All right. That means a DEVICE and a WAVEFORM are not the same thing.

Hi
i agree with vfone they are much different . you need oscilloscope to measure the frequency , or you can use spectrum analyzer, or frequency counter .

can we measure the frequency of a device with out using oscilloscope

So the next obvious question is ..... What is the DEVICE you are trying to measure the Frequency of ????

maybe is you gave us all a bit more info it would save us asking lots of Q's to try and establish what you are trying to achieve :)

Dave

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with davenn. The only devices I'm aware of, that can be said to have a frequency are possibly oscillator modules. A frequency counter or a spectrum analyser would be an option in this case.

By the way, it's a bit funny, that you try to teach the forum about frequency measurement but apparently don't manage to phrase a clear question...

Actually i am little bit confused.

what is confusing you now ? :)
its a long, long time since this thread originally started, did you sort out your frequency measurement problems ?

Dave

If f=1/T we need a clock that can measure inverse time to find out frequency, but does really a clock device show time or is it in fact a frequency counter not related to time at all? Do a clock device have a frequency? I would say it depends on the clock device.
A hourglass have a frequency even if it only is for a single period, a sundial do only show the periodic relative movement of earth & sun and the device by it self have no frequency.
A wristwatch is a bit more complicated what it actually shows, counter of vibrations in a crystal or if a mechanical clock, a counter of its own lifetime, perhaps not always so precise, but if it is moved around will time dilation occur anyway.
A clock with LCD display is useless for measuring its own lifetime, because when the lifetime is finished, is it probably not possible to read any result.
Let's ask Stephen Hawking what time is and we will all be confused.

Thanks all for your replys.............

Thanks all for your replys.............

Hi Encoder...

You never did answer the questions as to what you were trying to measure the frequency of ?
dont leave us all in the dark after we tried so hard to help you :)

cheers
Dave

Hi Encoder...

You never did answer the questions as to what you were trying to measure the frequency of ?
dont leave us all in the dark after we tried so hard to help you :)

cheers
Dave
I didn't mention any particular device i asked a general question that is it possible to measure frequency of a device without an oscilloscope.

I didn't mention any particular device i asked a general question that is it possible to measure frequency of a device without an oscilloscope.

ok :) but you can see from all the varied responses how a generalised question makes it difficult to answer :) Its a common problem on forums where people asking questions are not specific about what they are trying to achieve. As a result it leaves all the people trying to help, not really knowing the full story.

Frequency counters come in all sorts of forms....

a plain frequency counter
a Spectrum analyser
a cavity wave meter
a set of Lecher lines

to name a few methods :)

cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor