Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fpga-based face detection and recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinupusan

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have already working matlab codes for both detection and recognition. the problem is i don't know where to start in implementing it to fpga. i know little of verilog but i can learn fast. can somebody help?:?: thanks in advance.

I suggest learning more verilog, and specifically learning verilog for synthesis.

thank you for your suggestion. I already have a working matlab code and I plan to implement it in an Altera DE2 FPGA board. the first problem would be transferring the image file from PC to FPGA? any suggestions?

Last edited:

you can store the image in the block ram of the fpga....it again depends on the memory size of the image and also the memory available in the fpga..

Face detection is easily done in software using a soft-core processor. Some attempts at hardware versions have been described by researchers -- the most recent work I know is by Prof. Jonathan Rose, which improves earlier work by Prof. Ryan Kastner.

Converting a matlab algorithm to FPGA can be assisted by tools like DSP Builder (from Altera), System Generator for DSP (Xilinx) and HDLcoder (from Mathworks).

If MicroBlaze or Nios are too slow for the image processing, you can look for vector accelerators. One such accelerator is made by VectorBlox. They have a face detection demonstration that is ~10x faster than the ARM processor on Zynq devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back