Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA Atmel ARM interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahmitia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
I'm working on a personnal project,
I want to interface an FPGA (Virtex5 or Stratix4) to an Atmel ARM powered Uc (SAM9)
This FPGA would acquire 10 simultanous UART (TTL) signals from 10 Xbee modules
I want to send those signals to the ARM microcontroller using a Protocol.

What would be this interfacing protocol that i could use without having a bandwith problem ? then can you help me finding an evaluation board that i could use for that.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Hi,
You can incorporate a variety of protocols.It really depends on how the Uc is going to read the data...
Is the micro going access each Xbee individually ? are the data from Xbees going to be processed by the FPGA (and then be sent to ARM)?
Virtex 5 is a fast FPGA.
If your ARM is going to read the data from the Xbees individually (one Xbee at a time) then a simple way to accomplish this task is making the FPGA act as multiplxer which maps 10 Xbees into one UART interface. Xbees can be selected by a simple and tiny address bus.
This approach leaves you with the FPGA almost empty for other tasks...
The level conversion can be carried out by different ICs available...
I don't have much info about boards...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.