Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA and ethernet interfacing on virtex5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodahussein

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all

i search about the possiblity of FPGA connect to internet
i have virtex5 fpga kit. i want to do that: through the ethernet interface, the fpga can access the internet and search about the specific type of movie such as MPEG and then play it
-i need to more information about ethernet interfacing with fpga
- are anyone face or do this topic before?

wait your help
regards

You will definitely need a softcpu for this, so firstly choose which one. Xilinx offers Microblaze (I don't know about OpenSPARC now, but afaik dead?), You can also use LEON (which is OpenSPARC based afaik), also ORSoC from opencores, LatticeMico32 or search for the best thats suits Your needs. If none - write Your own. There are many examples how to use ethernet on MicroBlaze, I am pretty sure there will be one for Your V5 board, however Xilinx EDK sux. You can also use ORSoC and have ethernet controller connected via WishBone. There is a project called MilkyMist, which use LatticeMico32 and there is some MAC module in the whole design, but I believe You will need more sophisticated design. Its up to You. I have tried NIOS II on BeMicro-SDK, which runs perfectly, however that Eclipse based programming software is a bit annoying... I would go for opensource anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back