Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Found this CFL and afraid to connect to AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armqus

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I graduated as an electrical engineer yeears ago, but I haven't used those skills much in these past years.

Anyway, I found this CFL with 2 other components, a capacitor and something else lol. I need your help to analyze the wiring and decide whether it's safe to plug in and test or is there possibly something wrong.

Here is a pic of the thing:
KM0LkSi.jpg

I only connected a plug's L and N into their place at the very bottom.

Something I want to know, why does a wire go from the capacitor to Neutral?
...And is it safe for test haha
--- Updated ---

Ok seems like it's working. Couldn't hold my horses haha!
But if someone nice could explain me how the capacitor works in that system :)

Last edited:

It is there only for power factor correction, it will light up just the same if it is removed but it might appear to consume more/less power from the line than it really does. The choke (rectangular block) limits the current to the tube but it also introduces a phase shift between the line voltage and the line current, the idea of the capacitor is it does the opposite and brings them back into line with each other.

Brian.

It is there only for power factor correction, it will light up just the same if it is removed but it might appear to consume more/less power from the line than it really does. The choke (rectangular block) limits the current to the tube but it also introduces a phase shift between the line voltage and the line current, the idea of the capacitor is it does the opposite and brings them back into line with each other.

Brian.
Thank you Brian! I do somewhat understand what you are saying :)
Thanks again, this is solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back