Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Forward voltage binned LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have both highlighted how absurd the LED manufacturing industry really is.
Why dont they keep just knocking the down the price of the less popular bins until they start getting taken up i wonder?
Maybe they have other reasons. Who knows? Transistor manufacturers don't have a problem with it. e.g. You can buy BC547A, BC547B or BC547C. I guess that's simpler though, as there's only 3 bins. With LEDs, there's probably a few dozen bincode combinations altogether.

What surprised me many years ago is that when ordering a brand new motor car, you can't specify exactly which color you want - you have to list first choice, second choice, third choice and you don't know which one you're getting till it arrives.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Consider 5K MOQ for LED custom orders with an annual forecast of $20K MOQ when dealing with the factory. Disti's are often unmotivated with this level and quote 10 weeks LT. I get mine in 2 weeks.

. Disti's are often unmotivated with this level and quote 10 weeks LT. I get mine in 2 weeks.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Its been agreed from these threads that Cree MX6 LEDs from a specific voltage group cannot be ordered

Cree MX6 LED datasheet:
**broken link removed**

The MX6 LED has three forward voltage (Vf) groups, plus a group called "0", which is for LEDs that are not Vf binned at all....(this can be seen from page 3 of the MX6 LED "binning and labelling" document......

Cree MX6 LED "biing and labelling document"
**broken link removed**

....so are we saying that if i order some MX6 LEDs, i have no idea whether or not i will end up receiving the "0" group that isn't even Vf binned at all?

Also, looking at page 3 of the MX6 LED datasheet, it clearly shows specific LED part numbers for MX6 LEDs with specific brightness groups (lumens/watt).......so why is it that we can order specific brightness groups, but not specific forward voltage groups.?

Status
Not open for further replies.