Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For industrial automation & control: Microcontroller or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moof

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microcontroler or PLC???

For industrial automation and control, what its better, a microcontroller like pic, avr or a PLC like siemens?

Microcontroler or PLC???

Hello Moof,
Except for some very specialized functions, few industries can use a canned product like a microcontroller. Usually, they requiere easy reprogramability even without stoping the controlled process. This functionality is hard to get in a microcontroller system.
I definitively vote por a PLC.
Best regards

Re: Microcontroler or PLC???

Me too.
I vote for PLCs.
Only I will use microcontrollers if I dont have enough money and is not important confiability.
You can have PLC as cheap as u$d 250 (festo fec).

It depends of your application :

for a few installation plc is the best

if you are planning >100 same application that require only a
few digital io you could considere the choice of microcontroler.

hi

i had been working on both microcontroller and SIEMENS plcs.

ur question is generalized but the choice among the controller and plc is application specific.

Use PLC when u have 2 things.
1-reporogrammability in runtime (or easy reprog.)
2-mixed signal handling requirements in a system.

otherwise, i think, controller is much interesting to work with. this is my openion. u have all the right to differ................ :).

regards

I think it depend on your project. Because PLC is built on Microprocessor and Microcontroller is Microprocessor and ... so when u request short time and don't care about the price, u use PLC and ...

Microcontroler or PLC???

Hi,

It's only a question of costs, if you are thinking for example to build one thousand of machines that needs to be automated then I think' s that a solution using microcontroller can be studied.
But if you are building only one, PLC should be used....

HH

NeuralC

still PLC has an edge b/c one PLC reduces the IO handling overhead much more then a Microcontroller

still PLC has an edge b/c one PLC reduces the IO handling overhead much more then a Microcontroller

PLC for Automation (process control, motors, etc)
Micro for control (light, fan, AA, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back