Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flying probe test basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorick

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anybody detail how the flying probe testing works for detecting a short on PCB?

The flying probe tester is a fixtureless tester that utilizes several moving arms with test probes to access the test points on a PC board. Typically, the PC board is placed upside down in the tester, and multiple arms with test probes move across the bottom side of the board, touching down on test points and taking measurements. The biggest advantage of this test is that it does not usually require a test fixture. The greatest limitation is that it has long test times due to the arm movements.
More details here:
Electroviews - Test

I want to know how it will be done from the electrical perspective. Will there be any voltage/ current fed on to the testpoints.If yes is it programmable?

I want to know how it will be done from the electrical perspective. Will there be any voltage/ current fed on to the testpoints.If yes is it programmable?

I answer it in Your second thread.
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/238944/

Of course engineers design and determine what points are tested, with which voltage, and what current, results are monitored. Also capacitance, resistance, inductance can be monitored on determined points. Flying probe also check placement of parts and their locations on pcb. All of this summarized and PCB on end get Pass mark or Failed!

What flying probe can do depends from manufacturer model and cost!

Additional example :

For military PCB manufacturing, after PCB pass all tests, flying probe make photo in high resolution with unique ID, then PCB goes to other manufacturing process, like sealing with epoxy,...

Last edited:
But in the link "What is aFlying Probe Test" they didnt give how it was electrically done. I only understand from your text below that voltage and current are programmable. I was looking for link that would give detailed information on the following text you said:
"Of course engineers design and determine what points are tested, with which voltage, and what current, results are monitored"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back