Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floorplanning and placement with Astro/Physical Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer2k1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
astro create placement

I'm trying to lay out a design with two large modules connected by some simple glue logic. I want the modules to be laid out physically as two separate bodies on the chip. I know the placed-and-routed area of each individual module, and I'm using that for two plan groups (see below).

My current flow:
Design Compiler (synthesis: gate-level netlist)
Astro (initial floorplan: outer chip dimensions, power/ground rings)
Physical Compiler (placement: *)
Astro again (clock tree and routing)

The problem seems to be with * in PC above. I'm trying the following to create a "relative placement group" for each module (rt1 and rt2):

create_rp_group group1 -x_offset 100 -y_offset 100 -rows 1 -columns 1
add_to_rp_group group1 -leaf rt1 -column 0 -row 0
create_rp_group group2 -x_offset 100 -y_offset 400 -rows 1 -columns 1
add_to_rp_group group2 -leaf rt2 -column 0 -row 0
create_placement
[write milkyway, def, etc.]

No errors, but when I save the Milkyway cell and try to open it in Astro again, it says there are thousands of cells outside the design boundary. If I cut out the create/add_rp_group commands and just use the auto placer, I have no problems in CTS and routing.

Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back