Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floating Point Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Some GPP's/MCU's/DSP's have integrated floating point units as co-processors (for example the: Cortex M4F).
Are their any devices that implement floating point as part of the core architecture - and not as an integrated coprocessing unit ?

Are their any devices that implement floating point as part of the core architecture - and not as an integrated coprocessing unit ?

In other words, a separate floating point coprocessor?

For example:

Micromega Corporation

BigDog

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No.
I'm trying to understand whether the only difference between a Floating Point and a Fixed point CPU is an add-on Unit (FPU) - like with the Cortex M4 for example.
I was under that that's the case with all "Floating Point" devices. However, stumbnling upon DSP's such as the C6000 from TI made me think otherwise.
https://www.ti.com/product/tms320c6671
It seems like this device is Floating Point "from birth" and doesn't utilize an additional FPU co-processor for floating point calculations.

What do you think?
True floating point CPU's are simply fixed point devices with an integrated FPU or are they a completely different breed of devices with profound architectural differences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.