Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Flex PCB to aluminium backed PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

samayanaya

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering if it would be possible link a FR4 PCB to a aluminium backed PCB using flex PCB? Can it actually be done? FR4 tot FR4 is fine but I am not sure if it is even possible to connect flex to aluminium backed. Anyone know how this would work or can be done?

Normally, FR4 PCB can be linked to Aluminium based PCB with thermal sink Prepreg instead of Flex PCB , could you please advise me why you want to use flex PCB connecting FR4 PCB and aluminium PCB , Once you give more details, maybe we can give you more valuable suggestions on basis of PCB manufacturing experience .

The thermal resistance rises significantly compared to copper clad alum, but it is possible. Compare sq.cm per Watt. for 30'C jcn rise. and check/compare with sinkpad.com

Thank you. Cost will not be too much of a factor at this stage of the project as it is a prototype. That will get sorted with the engineering version. I just needed to figure out if it would be possible to get flec onto aluminium backed pcb.

Again thank you :thumbsup:

The question isn't exactly clear. Are you looking for a kind of rigid-flex-metalclad board with continuous traces connecting FR4 and metal-clad PCB? Or just soldering the flex strip to metal clad PCB?

I believe, flex-to-metalclad is possible, but it may involve some restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back