Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding dimensions of a broadband microstrip patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richa Kala

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a microstrip patch antenna having high bandwidth. Please tell me what will be the accurate dimensions for such antenna. I want to design it with the aid of HFSS . Is there any file which already has the designed broadband antenna? Please attach the file with answer:)

Hi,
You can find the dimensions for the microstrip antenna in Balanis book Antenna theory and design, in chapter 14. There you will find the formulas for calculating the patch width and length. You have to know of course the resonant frequency, the dielectric constant and the substrate height.

And another thing....if you want to improve..the bandwidth you have to cover with substrate with a superstrate....since the bandwidth is larger as the substrate is thicker, but this may excite some high order modes and some surface waves will travel, which may cause the radiation pattern degradation....Hope it helps.

Hi,

Use this link to get the dimensions of patch antenna: https://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php
For broad bandwidth you have to do some modifications in the str. like some slot or cut.....You go through book of ramesh garg for this or u can take help of papers also.

paula_popa
Thanks fr the reply. I hope I'll soon find out the proper dimensions....

smritigarg127
That link is really very-2 helpful. Can u please tell me where can I find the Ramesh Garg ebook..

you can get form net or go to your college library,, and u can get any book on microstrip antenna design....

hi .how to design fractal antenna in hfss 13 ,please help me with a step by step procedure

Although you cannot export to HFSS you could consider using Antenna Magus to design your antenna and then you can use these dimensions in HFSS and optimize.
see http://www.antennamagus.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.