Status
Not open for further replies.

pnielsen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have seen 12 band programmable hearing aid devices on the internet for $1000 per ear? Is there any cheaper devices around! I am used to programming Cypress Psocs MCUS. I can't pay $2000 plus the software and what ever is required.

Thank You,

Philip

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at FIR filters, High pass etc.

Thank You,

Philip

Do you mean a 12-band equalizer? That would allow a tailor-made frequency response.

From what I understand the greatest need for a hearing aid is in senior citizens who lose hearing in the upper frequencies.

It would take an unusual pattern of hearing loss to need 12 bands of adjustment.

I found hearing aids for my mother on Ebay. Tiny, in the ear (not on the ear or around the ear). $350 a pair. They're not 12-band. One little knob adjusts volume. Another smaller knob adjusts frequency response. I can use them when I'm my mother's age because she didn't want to use them (no matter how much she needs them). I tried them and I noticed an outstanding boost in both volume and high frequencies.

I didn't care to go to a doctor. I knew he would charge a couple thousand dollars. The device itself is a minor part of the cost. The majority of the cost is for expected follow-up visits, testing, adjustments, etc. The keyword is 'expected' because the doctor wants to charge a patient enough to cover all his anticpated expenses. Maybe some goes into making molds of a person's ear canal, I don't know how often they want to make it that much effort.

I don't know how much money would go into the cost of the device in case of a 12 band hearing aid. I suspect that making them doesn't cost nearly half of the $1000 you quoted.

However the makers realize a customer expects to pay a lot of money. It has to do with the hope-for improvement in quality of life, as much as cost of the device itself.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.