Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Filtering jamming signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryipod

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
solved-- filter

I have a project to filter a jamming signal

Attachments

• jamming.zip
    244.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Who can ignore a request like that? :)

Good evening tryipod,
What an interesting way to pose a problem!
There are so many ways to jam/obscure a signal, I took a guess that your signal was being masked by the addition of something else, and indeed it was... let me paste my solution script here and walk you through it:

Code C - [expand]
% Dejam.m    30 Apr 2012

% Load given data file
load('jamming.mat');

% Assume jamming accomplished by addition with fixed frequency tone(s)
% (Have a quick look at the spectrum and see what we see)
figure;
pwelch(signal, [],[],[], Fs);

% Ah ha!  Two prominant spectral peaks are visible... together with some
% (lower level) features in the human speech range of frequencies.

% Create filters to notch out the tones...
% (I initially tried simple low-pass filtering, but it muddied the audio
% to the point of unintelligibility).  The number of poles & bandwidths
% were simply educated guesses and by no means optimal.
filt1 = fdesign.notch('N,F0,BW', 10, 500,  100, Fs); % 500 Hz
filt2 = fdesign.notch('N,F0,BW', 10, 5000, 100, Fs); % 5 kHz

oneToneGone = filter(design(filt1), signal);
bothTonesGone = filter(design(filt2), oneToneGone);

% Check the spectrum again to make sure the filters did their job...
figure;
pwelch(bothTonesGone, [],[],[], Fs);

% Neat!  Let's listen...
sound(bothTonesGone, Fs);

% "DSP is cool" eh?  Yes, it is :)

The pwelch() function provides a convenient front-end for spectral estimation tasks - here, I've invoked it with a minimum of arguments to quickly examine the overall form of the file's spectrum. The default parameters are quite useful, and clearly reveal the presence of two equal-amplitude pure tones (at 500 Hz and 5 kHz) in the data. Given their amplitudes were equal I assumed these were the jamming tones, and set out to remove them.

You *can* use fdatool for the filter design (selecting the appropriate filter shape in the 'response type' field at lower left), but here I've specified the filter parameters as arguments to fdesign.xxxxx(); After unsuccessfully low-pass filtering the signal (which certainly hammered the amplitudes of the jamming tones down, but rendered the audio uncomprehensible) I decided to just notch out the tones - and that worked a treat :)

The sound() function then plays the audio file through the PC's audio output... and there's your answer!

[The result obtained could certainly be improved substantially from this first pass though. Optimisation of the notch order and bandwidth might improve the recovered audio, and using a non-causal filter such as the filtfilt() function would eliminate the audible 'pop' at the start of the audio due to the filter's numerical "startup" overhead.]

Enjoy - it sounds like you've got a good DSP teacher :)

Re:

Thank you so much thylacine1975
I do appreciate your help. I could hear it :)

Last edited:

No, unfortunately you can't use fdatool to examine a signal spectrum - it's just a graphical interface to the filter designing engine. There might be an interactive tool somewhere in MATLAB, but I find pwelch() does everything I need.

[You can find online help about any MATLAB functions with either: doc <function> ...(the verbose, HTML version) or... help <function> ...(the concise, text format)]

doc fft will display the help file for the inbuilt fast fourier transform function, and another approach to spectral estimation is discussed about half-way down the page.

To use fdatool, select a 'notching' response as per the attached screenshot:

You can then export the coefficients using the File/Export... menu selection.
With the coefficients in the workspace, you can filter your signal this way:

>> oneToneGone = filtfilt(Num, Den, signal);

%%% Go into fdatool and design the other filter...

>> bothTonesGone = filtfilt(Num, Den, oneToneGone );

%% Done! Listen with:
>> sound(bothTonesGone, Fs);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back