Filter before amplification or amplify before filtering (and does it work for FPV?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcconcepts

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

I am thankful to watertreader for posting this question as I am wondering the same question.

Both Halls and Laktronics had provided very good points on the benefits of having the amplification first and having the filtering first respectively.

According to this video below, the band pass filter after the LNA combination really made A LOT of difference to an analog 1.2ghz video's reception :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KIT70vCoiI

I planned to use an LNA to enhance 5.8ghz reception of my drone's video transmission and had ordered an expensive 50usd "gpiolabs" 6ghz LNA (0.8db NF) and a cheap 10usd "Aliexpress" 6ghz LNA (4.5db NF). Both appear to have a gain of 15db at 6ghz.
The Aliexpress one appears to be using the Mouser SBB-4082S IC (or equilvalent IC) while the gpiolabs one is using a better IC which is concealed by the aluminium shielding case. I am not even sure if a BPF is necessary for 5.8ghz analog video or for 5.8ghz digital HD video. As proven in the youtube video above, LNA + BPF appeared to have an improvement when a low gain omni was used on the receiver and it had little effect when a high-gain directional yagi was used on the receiver, which is kinda interesting.

Last edited:

LNAs arrived, I tested the cheap AliExpress one and the high-end one from GPIO Labs and the results were not what I had expected.

Normally you put the filter after the amp, so the wideband noise from the amp is also filtered.
The main exception to this would be if the noise level is so high that it cause amplifier saturation.
For that you could put a simple band-pass filter in front of amp to reduce the noise to what the amp can handle and do the rest of the filtering after the amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…