Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIFO-SRAM Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugam

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed an asynchronous FIFO and SRAM in VHDL using asynchronous handshaking protocols They individually work fine but when I try to interface them with each other, I am not able to get the desired output. Can anyone please tell me the probable mistakes I may be making?

You dont provide much detail.

Is the FPGA side fully asynchronous? you run all sorts of timing risks with this approach

Also, your vague question makes it sound like you are trying to interface two memories with each other. I would expect nothing to happen if I interfaced two memories together, as memories usually just respond to commands and do not generate any of their own.

Please give us more information.

r.b.

Both the modules are fully asynchronous. Data (in which the control signals for SRAM specifying the addresses, chip enable pin and W/R pin are also multiplexed) and asynchronous control signals of 'request' and 'ack' are assumed to be input to the FIFO through the controller. The FIFO further propagates the data packet to SRAM if W/R pin of SRAM is high and 'Req' of SRAM is high. If W/R is low, data is output from the SRAM

Usually, you would make the FPGA fully synchronous to make your life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back