Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ferrite SMPS transformer cores impossible to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to purchase small quantities of ferrite cores for smps transformers.

I am finding this impossible, one is constantly directed to go and speak to the distributor, and they are simply not interested unless you are on the verge of a huge mass-production phase.

Do you know where i can source small quantities of ferrite cores for smps?

eg ETD29 from epcos, for example.....

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Hi,

I am afraid that RS, Farnell , Digikey and Mouser are of limited or no use in providing ferrite cores for SMPS.

This is because you might be able to find a particular core size, but the chance of finding the corresponding coil former to go with it is about zero.
-also, finding a particular core set, ungapped is easy, but ungapped are less useful for flybacks where a gap is always needed.

In fact, a gapped core set, is obtained by using one gapped core half, and one ungapped core half....but the chances of finding both of these from RS, farnell, Digikey or mouser are zero.

Ferrite core sets..with corresponding coil formers, might exist in catalogs of companies like Epcos etc, but to the average person working in a small company, they are unobtainable no matter what price we are willing to pay.

Ferrite core sets..with corresponding coil formers, might exist in catalogs of companies like Epcos etc, but to the average person working in a small company, they are unobtainable no matter what price we are willing to pay.

Exactly why I stopped working on flyback converters. But for push-pull, half-bridge, full-bridge, etc, it's no problem.

I am afraid that RS, Farnell , Digikey and Mouser are of limited or no use in providing ferrite cores for SMPS.
This sounds somewhat - excuse me - ignorant. You have been particularly asking for ETD29. Farnell has the ungapped as well as three different gapped N87 cores, coil former and clamps, all on stock. It's true however that you can't be sure to get all required parts from catalog distributors. At least in Germany, we have a number of specialized distributors who don't consider themselves too good for supplying small quantities to their customers.

By the way, if you are doing high performance design, a similar problems arise with many kinds of components. Either you decide to fight them and learn where to get the parts or go for some more convenient work.

i cannot understand because i looked everywhere on farnell and cant find ferrite cores

i looked everywhere on farnell and cant find ferrite cores
Instead of looking everywhere, start with a simple thing, enter ETD29 in the part search. And don't get confused by wrong categories like EMC components.

Try TSC magnetics ,, they have various ferrite parts for small quantities , some of them needs 2 to 3 weeks for delivery ... but most can be delivered within 24 hours or so ....
:!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back