Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ferrite core air gap B strength , impedance, calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvador12

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I was looking for some formulas but as I found out it is not so straight forward to find the appropriate ones.
So basically I was looking for formulas with which I can calculate the flux, field strength within an air gap for a ferrite core where I can input my parameters.

What I need is a core for broadband RF in which I can have a 1mm or 1.5mm air gap with enough flux. I also want to see how for a given winding turns count the impedance changes over frequency range and the field strength in the air gap.

I know the basics like reluctance = B field line length /permeability x core cross section, I could do the same for the airgap. But the rest kind of escaped me.
Like getting to flux in webers per sq metre and then converting that to Tesla.

What I am hoping for is to get a somewhat decent B field strength within my air gap , which for ferrites given their lower saturation limits would be in the range of 200 to 300 mili Tesla or 0.2-0.3T. I want to understand whether such a field strength is possible within a ferrite airgap of my size and over what frequency range, because I realize that a higher field would ask for more turns but more turns make a higher impedance so that limits the frequency.
Anyway , I hope you can help out,

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.