Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

failure (shorted) of MoSFET power switch ( BTS50085-1TMB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mess123

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi could anyone help me figure out why the MOSFET switch (BTS50085-1TMB) is failing short i.e. the drain and source are failed shorted)?? The IC has got a lot of protection circuits. The drain side is connected to Ultra-Capacitors (48V) and the loading is not that big (just few amps 5-10 Amps, little inductive loads).

Thanks in advance. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Can you give a schematic? To which side is the load connected? If it is on the source, how are you driving the gate?

John

mess123 when your question involves a device it is best to include a link to the datasheet so that anyone can access it without having to search.
Datasheet:

@jpanhalt:
This is a smart high side switch so it is connected in the high side, the device is turned on when the input is grounded

Alex

Thanks Alex.
Here is the Schematic. KS-CP and Vi-24 are are the loads.

You may have the device connected slightly wrong (on the pcb), or the heatsinking may not be sufficient (although it is supposed to be temp limited) - a picture of the hardware along with a picture of the heatsinking used device would be helpful, check that the parts are OK before you use them too! Regards, Orson Cart.

I have the same thermal problems with the BTS50085 ( I used the same schematics). If I have the supply voltage at 50V, the BTS50085 will overheat.
Has anyone found a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back